Sunday, October 25, 2009

Everything in Moderation

There are lots of reasons to be apprehensive (ok scared) of training for a marathon:
  • early mornings
  • sore muscles
  • long workouts
  • ice baths 



But for me, the reason is all-together different. THIS is why I'm afraid of marathon training ....




Yes. That is me. The day before running Nike Women's Marathon in October of 2007. By the time I ran Disney Marathon three months later, I had gained another 20 pounds.....




When this picture was taken, I was technically classified as obese. I cried when I was told that more than one-third of my body was fat. One-third. The thought screaming through my brain was
How can I be obese? I run marathons for crying out loud! How did this happen?!

I previously viewed training for a marathon as license to eat. I'm running all these miles, right? I can eat anything. I'll burn it off. Well, my friends, that's a load of crap. See during the week, there aren't so many miles run. Maybe two or three days; the calories burned are equivalent to an hour exercise class on each day. And sure, the long run on the weekend burns a lot, but it's not enough to eat whatever strikes your fancy all week long.

This is me now ....



You'll see quite a difference. A lot of hard work, change in eating habits, and portion control helped me lose 45 pounds. I've kept the weight off for about a year now and have no desire to go back to the way I was before.

Short story is I'm scared of training for marathon because I petrifed of gaining back all the weight I lost. I'm scared of forgetting everything I've learned about how to eat and what to eat. I'm scared I will cave to crappy food because "I'm running today/tomorrow/saturday." I'm scared one pound will become five which will become 10, etc. etc.

Although I haven't yet gained any weight, I can feel it happening. A late night snack here, dessert when I don't usually eat it, and that damn box of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls.

I've posted these pictures and written this entry to help remind me of how I don't want to look. To remind me of the hard work I went through to lose the weight. To make sure I don't forget that running doesn't have to make me fat. I have to remind myself

Terri- Eat what you want, but only eat a little bit. Prepare good snacks ahead of time so you aren't tempted by junk. Eat the filling foods, the dense foods, the ones that will keep you full. Resist the temptation of "just one more". This is the lifestyle change you chose. Don't lose your way.

The key is "Everything in Moderation". If I can remember this, I will make it through January without gaining back the weight. Wish me luck, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment